June 23, 2009

FISH PIE AND A CHOCOLATE CAKE


There has been some talk about not wasting food and this has prompted me to write about what we had to eat recently. It was all from what we had in the house and didn't require a special trip to the supermarket.

Yesterday I made a sort of fish pie, vaguely following the guidelines of a recipe passed on to me by a friend a few years ago, for "French style roast cod".

I par-boiled a few cubed new potatoes and roasted them with a few cherry tomatoes, whole garlic cloves, olive oil and sprigs of rosemary. After about 15 minues I perched some frozen cod fillets on top - from a pack of emergency fish portions lurking at the back of the freezer. I added a drop more olive oil and seasoning, roasted for about another 15 minutes. Then added a good slurp of white wine, recently purchased from Montlouis near Tours and cooked for another 5 minutes or so.



It was very tasty and was served with a "vegetable medley" - all the bits of vegetables not used at the weekend.



At the weekend we were invited to a barbecue with some friends so I volunteered to take the pudding. It was "warm chocolate torte", a very rich and grown up cake from a recipe in a Linda Collister book called "Heavenly Chocolate". It is definitely to be served as a dessert, not for afternoon tea. There is lots of dark chocolate in it and no flour but ground almonds. This makes it very moist and it usually sinks in the middle a bit. I followed the recipe to the letter for this.



However, I have not so far managed to serve it warm, being never that well organised. But it's just as good served cold with cream or anything else that you fancy.

1 comment: