January 8, 2010

A TALE OF TWO FEET

I will be spending the next couple of weeks with a "cartoon" foot propped up on the sofa.

THINGS I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO.

Having time to catch up on my reading and knitting. I have to have a total of six weeks off work.

Having time to read a few blogs in a leisurely fashion instead of just skimming.

Having time to orgainise my beads and doing something creative with them.

Last but not least, having a foot that doesn't hurt and being able to wear nice shoes. Being able to walk properly for sensible distances. Being able to last a whole day at work on my feet without having to change shoes at least once.

THINGS I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO

Cabin fever. Last time (the other foot), after two weeks I was seriously fed up with watching repeats of "Poirot" on the telly. Even with a good library of DVD's and books I will be yearning for fresh air and the ability to get about without the crutches. I won't be able to drive for about 3 weeks at least.

Pain. Once the anaesthetic wears off it will hurt like hell for a while.

Not being allowed to take a shower for 2 weeks and having to wash my hair over the sink !

But it will be worth it.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jean
    You've HAD the operation? I thought it had been put off?
    It's the best thing...not to be able to drive for the next few weeks.
    Do you mean you've never taken a shower standing on one leg with the other dangling on the other side of the curtain?
    You have to see the repeats several times before you get bored. I do sympathise with the pain though. I hope it doesn't get too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Jean, I think you're lucky to get your operation done today. We've had a lot of cancellations resulting from the weather conditions down here (we're all soft in the south, of course).
    You could tape a bin bag over your foot, unless you want to avoid taking a shower of course.
    I wish you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jean,
    Good news that the operation went ahead.
    I'm sure the overall gain for you will be more than worth the initial pain and inconvenience.
    You didn't say you were looking forward to being 'waited on' for a few days by Nick!
    Enjoy and make the most of those activities you say you are looking forward to..... and keep blogging.
    Regards
    Gaynor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, poor you. At least you'll have the lovely Lulu to minister to your every need. "May I trip you up now, Ma'am?".
    The last couple of years have been given over to having a variety of leg operations (varicose veins were giving me rather more than corned beef legs). I devised an interesting and quite effective way of covering a leg up with a selection of plastic bags that kept it all waterproof. Make a hole in the end of a plastic bag. Hole should be small enough to just get your thigh into it and secure this in place with the top of a support stocking (always on in my case)or a hold up. Then put a big bin bag on your lower leg with the upper bag hanging over the top (so that any water that drains off doesn't go into the bin bag. Hey presto, you can shower. I had to put up with this for 2 weeks each time and after the first time, I was desperate for a proper shower.

    Just think of all the outrageous shoes you'll be able to wear.

    Hope it goes / has gone well.
    Mad x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ken - as a former member of the British Sub Aqua Club, standing on one leg is one of my specialities, having spent 17 years getting changed out of my wetsuit in public seaside carparks with amazing speed and hardly a glance from passers-by !

    Ian - I think you're right - I was lucky and just wanted to get it over with.

    Gaynor - Nick is an excellent cook and very sympathetic and attentive nurse. When I had the other foot done a year ago, after about three days I hopped into the kitchen on my crutches and encountered a sort of war zone. It's usually me that does the clearing up and putting away. But he's an absolute treasure.

    Mad - LOL - a huge amount of effort has gone into creating a barricade between me and Lulu, using chairs, side tables and the fireguard. She is most confused and quite annoyed that we are not allowing her on HER sofa. Last night she clambered onto Nick's lap on the easy chair. He was completely hidden by her - there's an awful lot of her now she's fully grown. She was gradually sliding back off but they both managed to fall asleep. Unfortunately my camera was just out of reach !!!

    The bin bag showering technique will no doubt become more and more appealing as each day goes by.

    ReplyDelete