February 24, 2010

TIME OUT TO BE A TOURIST

During our two weeks in our little maison in July 2008 we did quite a bit of sight-seeing and château-stomping. (As well as a little DIY.)





One of the things we saw on the TV coverage of the Tour de France was a helicopters-eye view of a several nearby châteaux, some of which we had never seen before, so we decided to seek at least one of them out. To begin with we went to see the château at La Guerche, just down the road from Le Grand-Pressigny.



We drive over the bridge and past the château regularly and it is a very imposing sight. In fact we had viewed a house just over the bridge when we were house-hunting the previous year. It was the one where the ground floor was now below ground on account of the bridge having been rebuilt at some stage with the road half way up the windows. It was still for sale.





On 13th July we decided to stop and look around the village and if possible visit the château - it isn't open for visitors every day but we were in luck. The young lady who showed us round was a student who was very keen to practice her English. This resulted in one of those bizarre encounters where all of us would mix and match French and English often mid-sentence. Anything to be understood. It was very entertaining and great fun.






I have forgotten most of the facts and figures about the château that we found so enthralling on the day. I love the way a good guide can bring a place to life so much so that you could almost be back in times gone by, witnessing the to-ings and fro-ings of previous occupants. It doesn't bother me that I can't remember any of it later. But I do remember that it was buillt in the XIVth century, that it had underground rooms that were fascinating and that you could explore by yourself, and there was some sort of chute from outside to the cellars that the guide was very excited about. It might have been for grain, or people, or even weapons - I can't remember. Also that we were the only visitors, that we had a great time and that the sun shone beautifully all day.




We spent a happy hour or so there and then headed back home for tea on our little terrace.

A perfect day.

6 comments:

  1. I'm also one of those that can never remember things told to me or stuff I've read - I sometimes begin a book, only a chapter or so into it to then realise I've already read it.

    I know what you mean about a Franglais type of conversation over here - it makes perfect sense and can be quite a funny encounter

    Sweet chateau

    ReplyDelete
  2. FF - Nick always remembers loads of trivia about any place we have been. Maybe because he does I feel I don't have to. I can always ask him if I need to recall anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We often considered visiting La Guerche, but their internet site mentioned that the château wasn't open to the public. So we never took the trouble driving over. Thanks for giving us an idea of what it is like. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am convinced French venues are shy as they positively hide their information on opening hours and times!

    For La Guerche: From 24/06 to 17/09, everyday from 10.00am to 1.00pm and 2.00pm to 7.00pm
    Sundays from 1.00pm to 7.00pm - Out of season : groups by appointment.
    Full price : 5 € - Reduced price : 3 € - Groups : 3 €
    37350 La Guerche
    Tel : 00 33 2 47 91 02 39 / Fax : 00 33 1 46 51 47 73
    E-mail : contact@chateaudelaguerche.com
    www.chateaudelaguerche.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martine - see Nicole's comment above !

    Nicole - thanks for the info !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jean
    I agree with the last comment.
    I also agree with the fun of mix and match...plus the actions.

    ReplyDelete