April 28, 2010

MYSTERY VILLAGE

.



When we came back to Le Grand-Pressigny from Amboise after the "Foire aux Vins" we passed through a nice little village and stopped for a look around. The sunlight was strong and there were interesting clouds in the sky so I took some photos.


It was a pretty place in typical Touraine style. Unfortunately there were a couple of youths kicking a football around in the village square rather too close to parked cars for my liking and making me feel slightly nervous. So we didn't stay long.



The thing is, I can't remember the name of the village. I have looked at the map and tried to trace our route home but can't identify it. We had followed our tom-tom there but ad-libbed our way back and as we have been through most of the villages at least once before all the names seem familiar. I am just not sure which village it was.



If I think of it later I'll let you know. Unless of course there's someone who recognises it and can help me out sooner.

UPDATE - we have worked it out - it was Cigogné.

10 comments:

  1. This has happened to us as well. Taken pictures of a lovely village and then on arrival home we did not know which it was. I thought it was only me who did things like this! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane - there are so many lovely little villages around us and we are lucky to have a house in such a beautiful area. This one was a bit further from home and not on our normal route to anywhere but I'm sure the name will come to me, sooner or later !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean, I couldn't remember where we'd had a lunch stop last fall, a hilltop village with a panoramic view of the Seine. To figure it out recently, we used Geoportail's satellite view, followed the route we had taken, and finally tracked the place down. It worked because we knew there was a biggish graveled area and a church nearby. I wonder if Geoportail would solve this for you? (If so, thank Simon for introducing us to the Geoportail website.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn - thanks for the tip ! I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How quaint and rustic! Great pics and I hope you figure out which village it is. Very nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty indeed! ... But I'm sure we've never been there, otherwise I would certainly remember the unusual church. Sorry, can't help you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to Cigogné, but it looks like it might be worth a visit. It's not on our normal route from Saint-Aignan to the south side of Tours, which passes through nearby Reignac.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jean
    I always find it striking that most villages that I've gone through in Brittany are like your photos of Cigogné...eerily deserted.

    Perhaps it's when I always tend to drive through them...during 12 and 2:00pm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ken B, there didn't seem to be much there in the way of commerces but the church and square were attractive.

    Hi Ken D, a lot of places do seem deserted most of the time, especially in summer when shutters are kept closed. Even LGP seems like a ghost town some days, then others it positively buzzes with activity. This is a very French phenonemon, compared to the UK where shops stay open all hours and don't close for lunch. I rather like the peace and quiet myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. when Ken said they drive through Reignac to Tours, that rang a bell and I decided I'd better look up Cigogne. Yep, both towns are near one of our favorite villages in France--Chedigny. Why it's not on the official list of most beautiful villages I don't know. It's small, charming, and FULL of flowers whenever we visit (September). There's nothing grand or amazing about the village; it's just lovely.

    ReplyDelete