September 30, 2010

I'LL HAVE A PINT OF WHATEVER SHE'S ON

I have just watched the first programme in Nigella Lawson's new TV series "Kitchen" and feel compelled to say something.


Photograph courtesy of Telegraph.co.uk


God bless that woman.
.
She gives all us ladies with a penchant for indulgence and consequently less than sylph-like figures hope and encouragement. The fact that her language is so completely over the top in flowery flirtiness is forgiven.
.
This evening's programme would have left Nick drooling if he had been here to see it. The poor man is currently sweltering in 40°C in the Arizona desert somewhere near Las Vegas, for work.
.
Luckily, being a loving and adoring wife of the most considerate type, I have recorded it for him.
.
Her recipes are good, too. I have recently made jam from her new book and my signature cake is her chocolate Guinness cake. Quite frankly, if all her recipes turned out as complete sludge I would still think she's a star. Anyone who gives plumptiousness and cooking that much sex appeal deserves a medal.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a breath of fresh air.

    Good news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean,
    I couldn't agree more! I loved her programme too. I bought her new book as a present for my neighbour for looking after our house and garden in the summer. I have also suggested that my children buy it for me, for my birthday next week.
    Perhaps the next time we meet in France I can cook something from one of her books - but afraid I won't be able to compete on any other front though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob-bear - she definitely is. Do you get her programmes in your corner of the world?

    Gaynor - I confess to owning most of her cookbooks. Although sometimes she's just a little too gushing - who really needs a whole page recipe for Marmite on toast? But mostly I don't think she takes herself too seriously and is such a change from some of the celebrity chefs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes - her chilli with the secret ingredient (chocolate) is wonderful.
    Yum yum yum.

    Mad x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jean, When is she on telly? (BBC, I hope, because I can't get any local UK channels here) ... as it may take decades before our national television will broadcast here latest series. Just love her cooking, except for her - as you put it so beautifully - 'flowery flirtiness'. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mad - I will look into that. Chocolate with chilli in it is one I've heard of but not the other way round. I must have missed that one.

    Martine - it's on BBC Two, Thursdays 8pm (UK time). Last night was the first of 13 programmes in total.

    We will be thorougly Nigellified by Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid I find her unwatchable, but I know people love her recipes, so I am sure they must work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought everybody always added chocolare to chile con carne? Ive been doing it for almost 20 years, and I am no trendsetter in the kithcen.

    Luckily, I am with Susan as far as Nigella goes: far too gushing and overblown. I'm more your HFW kinda guy.

    Word Verification is "biled" apt, when it comes to cooking shows...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan and Simon - that's the effect she has on people - you either love or loathe her style. Unlike Saint Delia who seems to be universally loved and respected by all, including me.

    I have in the past read scathing reports that her recipes often fail. Personally I find they work fine, not that I have tried them all, obviously. I must unearth the chocolate and chilli one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, we don't. A bit of BBC news is all we see in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Afraid I am not a fan of hers, but maybe because I only arrived back in the UK in 2002 and had never seen her before. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not afraid to say that I have had an aversion to her ... after attempting to read one of her cookery books (recipes, methods and all) ... We do not have television but I MUST say that if I could look as voloptuous and delicious as her then I would not complain. So... what is she on????? It can't just be chocolate or B6 in triple doses or the Irish water. Maybe the lack of financial worry is the medication!

    ReplyDelete