October 7, 2010

GET THEM WHILE YOU CAN

I spotted this offer in the supermarket this week. Buy two 250 gm packs of Lurpak butter with a baking tin for £3. That means you pay for the butter and the tin is almost free. It looked like a good quality tin and I thought it would come in handy for our forthcoming charity cake stall at work. So I bought one. You can read about last year's cake stall here.



When I unpacked it, there was a little recipe book inside. One of the recipes was for banana, date and honey loaf. I happened to have a couple of bananas that were past their best for eating and I found the other necessary ingredients lurking in the cupboard so I decided to have a go.


Banana, date and honey loaf
Ingredients

200g self raising flour
160g butter at room temperature
80g caster sugar
2 tblsp clear honey
2 eggs
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
80g chopped dates
40g chopped walnuts

Method

Grease the tin and line it with greaseproof paper or baking parchment.
Preheat the oven to 160°C, 140°fan, Gas mark 3.
Whisk all the ingredients together (except the dates and nuts) until well combined.
Stir in the dates and nuts.
Pour the mixture into the tin.


Bake for 1 hour and test with a skewer. Bake for up to 15 minutes more if the skewer does not come out clean.
When the cake is out of the oven, make a few holes in the top with the skewer and drizzle a tablespoon of honey over the cake whilst still warm.



When it was cold, I decided to decorate it with some simple icing drizzled over the cake.



It was very easy to make, was very moist and tasted delicious. It lasted almost one day at work.
I went back to the supermarket for another couple of the special offer packs for my colleagues. I got them at Sainsbury's.

9 comments:

  1. That sounds really yummy but I am sure there will none left by the time I get back on the 18th! Never mind I have the recipe now which is the mosy important. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new blog look - and I love the look of that recipe. Thanks for the tip on the almost free tin too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bakery... a winter cake ... the drizzle looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make it look so easy. Did YOU eat it all or did you share?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great cake for an afternoon coffee or tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good deal! The bread looks delicious!!! I love dates and must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone - it is indeed incredibly easy to make and utterly delicious. It's one of those recipes where you just put most of the ingredients into a food processor and mix them together. The kind I like the best.

    Ken - I shared it with three other people. Which means I did eat a lot of it myself. Still, bananas and dates are healthy and good for you.

    Pam - although it's called a loaf, it actually has the texture of a cake, not a bread. Mind you, we Brits do sometimes butter our fruitcake and serve it with cheese, especially in the north of England. We're strange like that !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jean!

    That looks DELISH!!! I just made pumpkin/cranberry/walnut bread and can't stop eating it!!! Enjoy your time in France!
    Cheers,
    Leesa

    ReplyDelete