November 19, 2010

A BAKING DESARSTER, DARLING

(Image of Craig Revel Horwood courtesy of the world wide web.)

.
One of the projects currently taking up my time was the annual cake stall we hold at work for the charity BBC Children in Need.

.
The cake sale has become a popular event in the locality with family, friends and other helpers pitching in with cakes and volunteering to deliver them around the neighbourhood. It all requires a certain amount of time and organisation, getting the premises ready, the crockery down from the attic and washed, all at the same time as conducting business as usual. Then on top of that we all bake a number of cakes ourselves which involves extra time shopping and a late night before the big day getting them baked, packed and ready to take to work.



my vanilla cupcakes and chocolate cupcakes.

.
This year, disaster struck. I staggered to bed after my baking marathon at 11.30pm then awoke at 2.00 am with awful stomach ache. Food poisoning.
.
The culprit was probably not my baking, but the takeaway curry we had for dinner. This seemed like a good idea at the time. The oven was not available, being permanently full of cakes, and the kitchen looked like a war zone anyway. And we hadn't had a curry for a while, so why not?

.

But how could I be sure that it was not a dodgy egg and that some of my baking was not contaminated? There was absolutely no way we could risk poisoning the general public, even in the name of charity. So into the bin they all went. All my sparkly cupcakes now reside sadly in the dustbin, while I languish at home with a poorly tum, looking like death and my colleagues have one person less to cope with the cake stall at work.




my banana, date and honey loaf, and the hummingbird cake, ready to receive its cream cheese frosting and decoration.

.

It definitely would have been easier just to put fifty quid in the collection tin and a lot less soul-destroying than seeing all my work thrown away.
.

C'est la vie.

14 comments:

  1. Oh how terrible. I hope that you are feeling better now but what a disaster to have to throww all your hard work away. It was sure to be the curry but as you say how could you risk it :-( Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane - 12 hours later I am still feeling a bit wobbly and not at all happy with life. No doubt in another 12 hours I will be fine, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cupcakes are gorgeous. You did the right thing throwing them out, though. Better safe.

    Too bad I am not your neighbor. I would have eaten one of the cupcakes so you could know within a few hours if the source of the problem was a cupcake ingredient or the curry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much work (and money) to be thrown away! Hope you feel better really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comiserations Jean; such delicious looking cakes too!
    Hope you are soon feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Jean, this is terrible! All that hard work done and then chucked out, and you so very sick! (I've had food poisoning; it is not fun!)

    What a discouraging day!

    I do hope your feeling much better soon, about both the sickness and the culinary loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a real trooper! All that effort and then having the courage of throwing it all away. Are you the only one with a bad tummy, or is Nick feeling sick too? If you both had the same curry, he should be feeling poorly too! (I guess)

    Hope your'll feel better soon. Take care. Martine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to all of you - "systems" are back to normal now and the event was a great success without me !!

    Martine - Nick had a milder version of my "problem", so we assume it was the kaghani chicken, but I obviously got the bigger dose of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh poor you. That may put you off a curry or certainly that particular curry house..I've had the same myself... But to throw away all those yummy cakes, effort, patience, hardwork and time? I think I would have been more hesitant and risked keeping them ..to at least test one whilst not having eaten anything else. But of course when you have been that ill the mind and the body have no interest in food cupcakes or not! Probably you did the right thing because salmonella poisoning is dreadful. It's also a pity you missed the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are feeling better. What a complete *******, very disapointing :( Still nice trip to look forward to very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweetpea - I'm fine now but I didn't much feel like trying any of the cakes myself on the day. Just the sight of them was bad enough....!!

    Hi Nic - I'm so excited about it !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! What a lovely batch of cakes. I've gone on strike with baking at the moment, but your photos have woken me up again. Hope your tum is better. Shame about your cakes being binned, but I would have probably done the same. Well done you for being brave enough to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gawd. How awful. I watched Nigella making a quick brownie thingy allegedly for a school bake day. Imagine if you were actually Nigella and that happened ???

    Anyway, hope you're better now.
    Mad x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vera - I felt much better about it once they were in the bin and no longer in the kitchen, looking pretty and haunting me.

    Mad - I watched Nigella too - that brownie tray bake looked scrumptious. I can't imagine Nigella ever having food poisoning, at least certainly not from a take-away from a curry house in Clay Cross !!

    ReplyDelete