December 6, 2010

THINGS TO DO WHEN YOU’RE SNOWED IN

A while ago I was breezing past the section in the supermarket where they sell off items near their sell-by date and spotted some boxes of cranberries which were ridiculously cheap. Having never used fresh cranberries before I decided this small investment in money would be a good idea so I could experiment with them.

It was a daft idea really. If I had thought about it for a second I would have realised that we had so much on at work and at home that anything other than essential cooking was out of the question at the time.

Then the snow came.

Towards the end of last week the two boxes of cranberries were still lurking at the back of the fridge. I found them when I was looking for something we could eat that would go together, having not been able to get to any shops for several days. I looked at them and thought they would be no good by now but to my surprise they looked fine. Closer inspection revealed one or two that were a bit wrinkly but otherwise they seemed in good condition. So I decided to look on the internet for a recipe for cranberry sauce, preferably one that used ingredients I already had in the house as going to the shops to get anything different was not an option.

This is what I did:

MORE SNOW DEC 10 002

Put two boxes (about 450 grams) of cranberries in a saucepan with 10 tblsp water and cook gently until the berries have burst.

MORE SNOW DEC 10 004

Add the juice and rind of one large orange,

120 grams granulated sugar,

6 tbsp red wine,

MORE SNOW DEC 10 005

Simmer until the sauce thickens

MORE SNOW DEC 10 008

I then put it into ramekins of the size I would serve the sauce in to cool and put them in the freezer. It tasted good when cooling so I hope it freezes well so we can serve it with the bird at Christmas.

MORE SNOW DEC 10 009

By the way, it’s –10°C this morning and the snow is still here, but at least no more is forecast for a while.

8 comments:

  1. Jean, we haven't done a proper American Thanksgiving since we left the states. Your cranberry sauce looks perfect, and the recipe is almost the same as mine. I'm sure it will be perfect with your Christmas turkey. Our weather here in France is starting to improve, at least no snow ... I hope you are not far behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have thought of freezing it. I would have bottled it while hot like I do jam. Problem with the latter is once it is opened it has to be refrigerated. Bet it tastes brilliant. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keir - there is no sign of a significant thaw yet but at least we can now get out of the house.

    Diane - I did wonder about putting it into jars like jam but didn't know if it would keep well. And several internet sites suggested it freezes successfully so I thought I'd give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe! I LOVE fresh cranberries and buy a ton and store them in the freezer to use throughout the year.. They're great in orange or pumpkin muffins... I just made some cranberry sauce, too.. We had Thanksgiving on Sat. night with friends...
    Cheers and stay warm.. It was 3 - 4 C this a.m and SNOWING! Nothing stuck but I couldn't believe it would snow above 0C. Just learned something new!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful cranberry sauce, Jean. Something salvaged and turned into both good food and a work of art.

    It is reliably reported that men, when snowed in, get "frisky." I'll leave it at that.

    Here is western Canada, clear, -19C, and about a foot of snow. Average winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Jean, it looks almost as good as your snow photographs.
    I guess you'll be escaping it very soon for another trip to France?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jean, You are cheating on us! Here we are feeling sorry for you because you're all snowed in and now we learn by S&S's blog that you were partying in LGP last weekend! :)) Please tell us all about your Christmas market sales, etc. Martine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you had a safe journey back!
    The word verification is "euraph" - a way of illustrating the pound against the Euro as a graph!

    ReplyDelete