January 17, 2011

MORE HOLIDAY COOKING

After all the rich and fancy food of Christmas and New Year what I really wanted was some simple, everyday, comfort food. So I decided to make

XMAS 2010 031

Macaroni cheese “à la maison”

What you do is this:

Put about 200 gm of macaroni on to boil.

Whilst it’s cooking, fry a small pack of lardons or bits of bacon until cooked and slightly crispy.

Make about 3/4 of a pint (425ml) of white sauce using Delia Smith’s excellent all-in-one method that involves putting a large knob (40g) of butter, about a tablespoonful (20g) of plain flour and the cold milk in a saucepan all together, then heating gently whilst stirring with a whisk for about 5 minutes. This makes great sauce every time without fail and without the need to make a roux and add the milk at a later stage – the traditional method but always bound to produce lots of lumps in my experience.

You can see Delia’s instructions for yourself here.

Put in as much grated cheese such as emmental or cheddar as you like to make the sauce cheesy enough for you, plus salt and pepper.

XMAS 2010 032

Stir the lardons into the drained macaroni and tip the mixture into an ovenproof dish. Pour the sauce on top. Sprinkle some extra grated cheese on top of that and place a few slices of tomato artistically to decorate if you feel like it.

XMAS 2010 033

Bake at about 180°C for 20 minutes or until the macaroni cheese is golden and bubbling.

Serves two hungry people or possibly four if feeling virtuous. Enjoy !!

11 comments:

  1. One of my favorite dishes! And yours looks mighty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a similar dish last night as well :) Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, that sounds lovely, I do a very similar dish using a 7oz tin of tuna, it's my husband's favourite comfort food at this time of year! I will definitely try this with bacon - a nice surprise variation! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks very good to me. Got to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's almost time for bed, and you're making me hungry. That's not fair! Although the meal looks very delicious — both in picture and written (recipe) form.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walt - thanks, it's a favourite of mine, too.

    Diane - it's the time of year for it.

    Sue - I must give the tuna version a try, it sounds lovely, perhaps with some sweetcorn in it, too.

    Ken - thanks, it is so easy to make.

    Sadie - Lulu enjoyed the scrapings from the bowl so perhaps you should drop a few hints chez toi !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a good plan. Merci. My master dotes on me, so I expect some success.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I show that last photo to my husband he'll be begging me to make this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jean, I've made a note to myself: never visit another food blog when I'm hungry! This.looks.delicious! And perfect for this cold night in the south...bonjour from Aix! Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks scrumptious!
    Delia does a great job of things like white sauces, doesn't she? Our old original Delia cookbook from the 80's is well used and well splattered with cooking mishaps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for reminding me to put all the ingredients of a white sauce into the saucepan, and not faffing about with making a roux. I used to do the first method, but for some reason I have drifted into using the roux method, and yes, I can confirm, that it makes the effort of making sauce a perishing nuisance because of the tendency towards those lumps!

    ReplyDelete