July 28, 2011

GETTING CLOSER

In our absence from Le Grand-Pressigny – between holidays – Nicole had kindly been checking our post box every few days to see if there was any sign of my carte grise.

I was thoroughly expecting a letter demanding that I take the motorcycle to somewhere to be inspected, or to have parts modified, or even refusing to register it at all for some reason.  So when Nicole emailed to say a temporary carte grise, valid for a month, had arrived, I was over the moon.

JULY 2011 - 2 084

The post office in Le Grand-Pressigny.

Not only that, it was in the envelope I had sent with my own name and address on – how good was that ??!!

However, there was also a note to say a package should have been delivered that needed signing for and was being held at the post office – but for only two weeks.  The two weeks would be up long before we were back chez nous.  The last thing I wanted was for my proper carte grise to slip from my grasp before I even set eyes on it, just because I was out of town and it was sent back to wherever it came from.  Panic mode set in.

There was a form that I could fill in authorising a third party to collect the package for me but there wouldn’t be time for Nicole to send it to me in England for me to sign it, naming her as the third party, and send it back again before time ran out.  So we devised a cunning plan by email, involving a scanned signed letter from me, for Nicole to take to the post office.

It didn’t work.  The lady on the counter that day was having none of it, insisting on me turning up in person with identification (passport and EDF bill) before handing it over.  She waved the envelope in front of Nicole and Alex, confirmed that it contained a carte grise, and snatched it back behind the desk before they could even get a sniff at it.

Nicole explained the situation, that I would not be in town for another week and the postmistress promised to keep it for me.  Somehow I didn’t think I was going to be that lucky.

But I was !!  First thing on Monday morning I handed over my passport for inspection (the EDF bill seemed to be surplus to requirements this time, according to the young man on the counter that day) and he in turn handed me my carte grise.

JULY 2011 - 2 083

A very happy person with her new carte grise.

It seemed a disappointing document for so much fuss, I thought.  The UK equivalent is in several A4 pages but this was just a small slip.  But it was MINE!!

JULY 2011 - 2 085

The next step was to get a number plate with the new registration number on it and then some insurance.

Now how difficult could that be ??

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations - I knew there would be good news at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With you on the case Jean I am sure the next step will be a ride in the park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo!

    You could write a book. What's that..... you already have? I await the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! You persevered through the experience.
    Insurance? You're in France. Can anything be "easy" there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, I am dreading 'doing' the Clio. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to add we had a quote to change the headlights, it seems we have the most difficult model and the most expensive. After getting a discount, they still quoted €620 for the two lights!!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super! All's well that ends well ... although it did take a lot patience and perseverance. Martine

    ReplyDelete
  8. This news deserves a great celebration! Congratulations...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Craig - there was!

    Steve - you need lots of patience for things like this!

    Gaynor - thanks.

    Meredith - indeed!!

    Rob-bear - nothing is easy, not when paperwork is involved, we have found!

    Diane - you just have to get organised and do things in the right order - I will be writing a summary when we come to the end of the story!

    Diane - ouch!! this is what I was dreading myself.

    Leon - thanks!

    Martine - Sagittarians are not noted for their patience - but I'm practising!

    The Broad - very true!

    Vera - we did - twice - you will soon see why !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anything that makes you celebrate twice must be good news!

    ReplyDelete