2 July 2011



Does anyone know what this is?


It is on a stone post at one end of this bridge.


There’s still time to treat yourself to a bargain break.

a great place to stay

Alex and Nicole have asked me to mention that they still have some availability in their lovely gites at Les Limornières for July.  They are offering a reduced rate for anyone who would like a last-minute booking.  So if you were thinking about spending some time in this beautiful area of France but weren’t sure – now’s your chance to treat yourself to a short break at bargain rates.

For further details, click here for a 4-person gite with €100 off or here for a 5-person gite with €150 euros off.


  1. Hello Jean, Wikipedia gave me the answer. Le Nivellement général is a network of altitude markers all around France. Walt says it's called "benchmarking" in the U.S. Here's the Wikipedia page, where you see the very type of marker you have in your photo.

  2. And as it is on that old railway bridge, it is a good place to put one. Good bridge supports are often used.... look for the arrow shaped ones in the UK... you will often find them on bridges and stone buildings. I'll go and look at the high-definition map and see if a spot-height is marked for that point.

    It is also called a "benchmark" in the UK.

  3. Thanks Ken that saved me from using my brain :-) Diane

  4. Ken and Tim - thanks!

    Diane - me too!

  5. I'm glad that Ken managed to keep me from embarrassing myself. I thought that it looked like some kind of rural letter box!