May 30, 2012

EATING OUT

gerbe d'or

Soon we will be meeting our blog friend Martine for lunch at this restaurant in Loches – La Gerbe d’Or.

I am really looking forward to it.  For one thing I have been trying to get to meet with Martine on one of her visits to the Loire for quite some time and so far we have always missed each other.

For another thing, we love eating out !!  We have eaten at this restaurant only once before and it was very good and a sensible price.  We have several friends who eat there so often that it is almost their local but until last summer we somehow never got around to it.

gerbe d'or 5

There is a nice little area for eating outdoors but on the day we visited last summer it was so hot that we decided to stay indoors, hoping it might be cooler, which it was.

gerbe d'or 4

The interior is cool and stylish, with lovely oak beams.

gerbe d'or 1

gerbe d'or 2

gerbe d'or 3

Nick and I both opted for the full three courses.  I had a country terrine for starters, monkfish for main course and a chocolate dessert – fondant au chocolat – one of my favourites.

The meal was memorable, not only for the quality of the food but also for the fact that it was our last lunch out at the end of two weeks of heavenly weather and tranquillity last summer, a treat before we got back to reality and the helter-skelter lives we seem to lead at home.

Martine has enquired if our dog Lulu will be coming with us.  Most restaurants in France accept dogs and we often see them, lying quietly under the table at their owners’ feet, occasional little titbits being passed under the table.  Frequently we will have no idea a dog is there until its owners get up to leave after their meal.  That’s how well behaved they usually are.

We only tried it once with Lulu.  She was, I admit, very young, less than one year old in fact.  We arrived early at our chosen restaurant – chosen because it seemed to be completely empty.  Two ladies then became seated at the table opposite and decided to make friends with Lulu.  They started offering her little titbits from their plate and all went well for a while.  The trouble started when they decided enough was enough and they wanted to keep it all for themselves.  Standard poodles are unfortunately tall enough for their noses to be at table height when they are sitting and they are too large to fit under the table !!

We think we might have another little practice before we take the plunge and take her to lunch with us again !!

20 comments:

  1. I love to eat out, too. But I only usually bring my dog if I know we are going to eat outside. At home she is good, but if other patrons are tempting her, she might get a little too friendly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith, we have tried it outside and am sorry to say it's no easier !! She just needs more practice - and training, probably !!

      Delete
  2. It's a lovely restaurant, we've eaten there a few times. [It's also nice in winter as they have the open fire going :-)]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. N&A, I can't understand why it took us so long to get there.....four years of visiting Loches every time we are in the area !!

      Delete
  3. I am smiling at the image of Lulu with her nose on the table! My sister-in-law would always say, "Well, if you'd just give her something she wouldn't have to beg!" The restaurant looks charming and the food delicious. But, in my current mood, I'd skip directly to that fondant au chocolat. It's a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, it's a work of art and deliciousness !!

      Delete
  4. Very sad we didn't extend our time in the Loire to meet and join you but we have had a great time.
    May be back in 2014 for an extended time.
    Have a great time with our mutual blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leon, hopefully next time our paths might cross more closely.

      Delete
  5. Enjoy your lunch. I'm sure Martine will tell us all about it.

    We haven't eaten there, but it came highly recommended by Antoinette and Niall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaynor, have fun at the party !!

      Delete
  6. We are also looking forward to meeting up with Martine but we are sorry that you will have already left the Loire!!! I can just imagine Lulu nose on table LOL. She was so well behaved when she was here that I am sure she would be fine now. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, she isn't - we checked !!

      Delete
  7. We are eating there tomorrow with clients. The oak beams are now white, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did the other day.....more about that later.
      Only half of the beams - in one room - are now white. In the room where we ate they are still a lovely pale oak colour which I presume is original. I didn't like the white ones - it made them look as though they could have been rusty angle iron I thought. It's a shame they painted over the originals.

      Delete
  8. I love eating out too; especially to taste something new and adventuresome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spo - it's always a dilemma - to choose something familiar that I know I will love - or try something new and exciting with the risk I might not like it quite so much......life's full of challenges !!

      Delete
  9. Looks a lovely place to eat and the food chosen (and photographed) looked great. Two things: loved the header of the tarts behind glass (better than tarts behind bars I guess) and your profile picture. Don't know if I've missed your profile picture b4 but it is good to see you. Phil x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, I have been a little shy at revealing my picture, but decided you lot had been with me for so long you could probably stand the shock !!

      Delete
  10. Eating out at lunchtime is one of the things I'm looking forward to when we arrive in France again in a fortnight, though our preferred local restaurants aren't as stylish as the one pictured. Your header photo is truly tantalising and like Phil, I love your new profil epicture.

    PS The new captcha codes are even worse. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perpetua, now that I am back home and have internet access I came across the codes for the first time - they took me by surprise.

      Most of the restaurants we visit are not this stylish either but then they don't photograph so well either !!

      Have a great trip to France - I look forward to reading all about it !!

      Delete