June 11, 2012

AN EVENING WITH SIR ELTON

elton1

Last Saturday I went to the Elton John concert at Chesterfield’s super new football stadium.

When I was a student in the 70’s I only owned three albums (LP’s!) and Tumbleweed Connection was one of them.  Since then I have always enjoyed his music and, whilst I don’t think I would travel any huge distance to see him live, this time he was too close to home to resist.

The previous time I saw him was when he performed in the park at Chatsworth House about ten years ago.  It was the middle of June, perishing cold and it chucked it down all day and night.  Seats were laid out precariously on the grass and we squelched our way through the mud to find our places wearing a full set of motorcycle waterproofs !!

Last Saturday, the weather was much kinder.  Considering the torrential rain we had had the previous few days, the rain stopped mid-afternoon and, amazingly, the sun made an appearance part way through the concert.

elton2

First up were these two lads, called the “2 Cellos”.  It seemed an odd choice for a supporting act to me but when they played “Highway to Hell” with just the drums to help I was convinced.

elton3elton5

Elton did the right thing, played all his oldies and made everyone happy.  There was lots of pink on stage – pink drums and Elton’s vivid pink satin shirt – just as it should be. 

From my seat I couldn’t see him at all – he was much too far away at the other end of the pitch and I forgot to take my binoculars !!  In any case the seats were incidental as the moment he came on stage everyone stood up and stayed standing up.  So unless I had my stilts with me there was no way I was going to see anything.  Luckily I was positioned with one of those huge screens right in front of me so I didn’t miss a thing.

When he played “Candle in the wind” shivers went down my spine and everyone sang along with him.  When he played “Crocodile Rock” the audience burst into life. 

Except for one woman, standing opposite me across the aisle.  She stood absolutely rigid all night, staring at the screen with no expression at all, not even a smile crossed her face and she never clapped or cheered or tapped a foot.  She seemed completely unmoved by the whole thing.  There are some strange folk about.

elton6

The band were great and if I looked away from the stage towards the crowd, I could easily think I was back in the 1970’s, the sound was that good.  Elton sang his heart out and did a fantastic job.

elton7

elton8

So it was a great night and an excellent venue.  Big enough to get the big crowd atmosphere but getting away from the place was easy – much better than the concerts I have been to where there were 50,000 people and it takes hours to fight your way home.  Mind you, Elton’s helicopter was buzzing over our heads before I got to the doughnut stall – why does live music always give you the munchies? – and no doubt he was tucked up in bed before I was.

Here’s a sample of the two lads on cellos for your amusement, and my favourite Elton John song ever.

I never thought you could make a cello sound like this !!

 

Possibly my all time favourite Elton song.
The song starts after 45 seconds – you can skip the talking by sliding along.

18 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed that concert. You looked so keen to go and see it when we met last week. Btw, guess what my all-time favourite Elton John song is? Right, Your song! Another thing we have in common beside our love for the Loire Valley. Thanks again for driving me to your cottage and your warm hospitality. Sorry you missed the party at S&S though. Martine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martine, I enjoyed it even more than I expected !!

      Delete
  2. Highway to hell by great Aussie band AC/DC and "your song", the best ever Bernie and EJ song. Tumbleweed connection in my collection with Madman across the water. Best ever Reg Dwight albums. Oooops sorry, Elton John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leon, I had a feeling you might be a fan.

      Delete
  3. One of the earliest things I bought was a remaindered cassette of Madmen Across the Water :-) Found it in a bargin basket in some Swiss supermarket in the mid 70's [must have been on a school excursion]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antoinette, that's one of the few Elton John albums I don't have.

      Delete
  4. I'd pay good money to see Elton too. Mind you if the choice was between Elton John and Bruce Springsteen then Elton wouldn't get a look in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaynor, I can't see Mr Springsteen coming to Chesterfield any time soon, and if he did I probably couldn't afford the ticket !!

      Delete
    2. He's coming to Manchester but we couldn't get a ticket! :0(

      Delete
  5. I am jealous. We saw him in the early 80's in Bophuthatswana and it was a fantastic show. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I wonder if he ever performs in France, outside of Paris, that is.

      Delete
  6. Never been a particular fan of Sir Elton, but he does do a grand show and have some great music.
    Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob-bear, a grand show it was !!

      Delete
  7. I'm another who isn't really an Elton fan, but this was obviously a great concert. I'm glad you had such a good time - and not in the rain. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perpetua, it would have been less fun in the rain, I'm sure.

      Delete
  8. Luckily I saw Elton playing for the Queen last week on TV, he still rocks and didn't really need 'Will I am!' to accompany him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, we missed all the jubilee celebrations on account of being abroad without a TV !!

      Delete
  9. dear me
    we are getting old.

    ReplyDelete