October 29, 2012

A DÉGUSTATION

One of the lovely baking blogs I follow is called “As Strong As Soup”, written by the lovely “Phil in the kitchen”.  Phil bakes lots of tasty French cakes and pastries and recently he made some pamplemousse financiers.  You can read about them here.

This led to a brief discussion in the comments about crème de pamplemousse, used as an alternative flavour to cassis when making a kir.  I mentioned that in the summer I had bought a bottle (or two) of something called “Very Pamp” from the supermarket in Descartes.  It’s a blend of rosé wine and grapefruit juice and, while Nick thought it was a very naff idea (having not tasted it), I found it a very pleasant, refreshing and drinkable drink.

pamplemousse3

Nicole told me that this kind of drink is very popular at the moment – often given as an apéritif at large gatherings where it is easy to prepare and serve, ideally suitable for warm summer evenings.  The ready-made version is inexpensive and comes in a screw top bottle, which probably contributes to Nick’s negative view of it !!

So when we were chez nous a couple of weeks ago I decided to get myself a bottle of crème de pamplemousse, and a bottle of Very Pamp and do a proper tasting.

pamplemousse2

The crème de pamplemousse made a delicious drink when mixed with a fairly cheap rosé wine.  On one of the few days when it was warm enough to eat our lunch outdoors, I found it fruity and refreshing and I enjoyed it.

The flavour was slightly different to the ready-mixed wine/grapefruit “Very Pamp”, but not that much.  I suppose it all depends on the rosé wine you use and I couldn’t make my mind up where the grapefruit flavour actually came from in the ready-mixed drink – juice or cordial.

Mind you, after a couple of glasses, it hardly mattered !!

The crème de pamplemousse was also delicious when made into a kir pétillant using an inexpensive Vouvray.  In fact now we are back home in the UK, an occasional glass or two is going a long way towards cheering me up, knowing that it’s going to be an awfully long time before we can drink any kind of drink on our little terrace overlooking the rooftops of the village again.

pamplemousse1 You pays your money and takes your choice.

Tchin-tchin !!  Have a good week !!

10 comments:

  1. I can attest to this being a popular aperitif in Provence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch out at events, especially dinners, where they will occasionally add vodka to the mix. It is lethal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been served it a number of times. I love it.
    I've also added it to some sparkles and that's good too.

    In the summer we were invited to a village meschurie (spelling?) near Chatillion. Here litres and litres and litres of rose were mixed with some pamplemousse sirop in one of those electric cooling vats (which used to be popular in cafes in the 1970's to cool squash)

    This delicious mix flowed like water, and in the end the only way to prevent your glass being refilled was not to drink.

    I don't think I've tried it with vodka, as Susan suggests, but then again perhaps I wouldn't remember!

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm have never seen it but maybe we have also not looked for it. Sounds interesting, will keep an eye out for it.
    Have a great week, we had our first frost this morning!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this in the supermarket and was tempted, but Niall was extremely dubious so we didn't buy. Thanks for ther post! Now we'll know to try some next summer on the terrace :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely on a hot day but slips down a bit too easily. At least if you buy a bottle of readymix you should be able to check the alcohol content.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Around three years ago, when I was first introduced to this little treat of a drink, I had to try several French supermarkets before I found any crème de pamplemousse and then there was only the one variety on offer. On a recent trip I noticed that there was a choice of different producer's versions of crème de pamplemousse available in pretty much all the supermarkets. It must be catching on. It instantly cheers me up. The unmixed crème de pamplemousse is best in cakes, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That'a a new one for me, Jean. I've had kir made with creme de cassis and also creme de peche, but never creme de pamplemousse. I must look for it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Perpetua it's new on me too. I confess that I have a traditional kir each evening while I'm cooking supper. Sadly my kitchen is in the U.K. but one day.........

    And thanks for the introduction to Phi - he's now on my watch list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious and from what you say it sure tastes good too. Sorry Nick, I like screw top bottles of wine. They open quicker!!
    Love the top header picture.

    Phil x

    ReplyDelete