December 11, 2014

KEEPING A CAT AMUSED AND BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS

birthday birthday2 birthday3

Daisy is a clever little cat.  We keep her toys in the bottom drawer of a chest in the kitchen.  Most of her toys are small objects she can chase and several of them have ended up out of reach under the kitchen units.  I had no idea she knew where we were keeping them until I spotted her helping herself the other day.  Nick had left the drawer open and in less than two minutes she had the “mouse on elastic” out and was playing with it.

birthday4

In this photo she is playing with a real mouse in the utility room.  This is one that we caught ourselves in a trap in an upstairs cupboard.  We thought she might as well have it and gave it to her outside.  Moments later she brought it in through the cat flap and was playing with it indoors!

A few minutes after that I found her eating it in the barn.  I spotted her just as the tail disappeared!

birthday5 birthday6

Yesterday she found a brussels sprout on the kitchen floor.  They are just as much fun as a mouse, real or pretend, to play with it seems.  The only difference is that she didn’t eat it!

(In these photos you can also see the condition of the tiled floor that we want to replace and that led to our decision to have a whole new kitchen!)

 birthday7 birthday8

There were no sprouts on the menu at my birthday lunch today.  There was some doubt whether we would be going out for lunch – it all depended on what time the boiler man turned up.  Luckily he’d been and gone by 11.30 so Nick quickly rustled up a reservation at one of our favourite restaurants, L’Auberge de l’Ile at L’Île-Bouchard.

One of the things I liked very much, apart from the fact that the food was obviously excellent, is that the Christmas decorations were incredibly subtle.  We rarely go out for my birthday in the UK as everywhere is knee deep in tinsel and cheap crackers this close to Christmas and we usually find ourselves sitting next to a table of revellers determined to get as drunk as possible as quickly as possible at the boss’s expense.  By contrast the ambience at L’Auberge de l’Ile was calm and relaxed, as always.

For starter we both had something called “le Mac Ko”.  It is obviously a take on another sort of burger that we’re all familiar with but this one is fabulous!  It contains fois gras, rocket and sundried tomato, served in a lightly toasted seeded bun on a plate signed by the chef himself in balsamic dressing.  Delicious!  In fact the whole meal was, as always, truly delicious and, along with the promise of a new boiler in the not too distant future, made for a very pleasant birthday.

20 comments:

  1. A very Hippo Birdy Two Ewe!!
    And many more to wellington...
    And you are now on the wall planner so we won't miss it....
    It looks like you had a great lunch...
    enjoy the evening...
    love to you both, Lulu and "Clevery Daisy"
    T&P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! The burger looks most appealing. Cute Daisy photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a happy birthday, and hope that the new boiler behaves itself and works with super duper efficiency!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A belated joyeux anniversaire to you. Hope you had a lovely day x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, Jean! That lunch sounds good. The mouse, not so much. But then, I'm not a cat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyeuse Anniversaire,(desole, un peu de retard!) Gros bisous et pleins de bonheur!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth, I would recommend that all prospective parents consider not having children in December. It's a lousy month for a birthday. It's horrible weather, people are usually too preoccupied with other stuff to remember it, it's almost impossible to find somewhere nice and quiet to eat (except in France!) and the nearer you get to Christmas itself the more likely you are to get the "joint present" - something that doesn't upset me now but which I thought grossly unfair when I was little!
    To be fair, being born several weeks premature I can't really blame my parents, I was intended to arrive in January after the Christmas extravaganza, but it was not to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest niece was born on Christmas Eve...
      to avoid the inevitable "both presents covered by one"...
      my brother decided that she should have an "official" birthday...
      on the 24th of June!!

      Delete
    2. Tim, that's a great idea!
      Not only could I choose to have a summer birthday, but I could also choose my own star sign!
      Being an "open mouth before engaging brain" Sagittarian has got me into trouble too often!

      Delete
  8. Belated Happy Birthday. Sounds like good training for Daisy having a real mouse to practise with :-) Happy Christmas and all the best for 2015. We will be back in the UK until the end of the year. Cheers Diane and Nigel xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, have a safe trip back and a good Christmas!

      Delete
  9. Happy birthday, Jean. A new boiler is a very generous and thoughtful present, even if Nick does make it cover your birthday and Christmas both.

    I'm sure he won't do that!

    Daisy is adorable. But I repeat myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, a new boiler is in the same category as a dishwasher or hoover - they don't count as Christmas presents!
      My ex once gave me a set of jump leads for my birthday. The significance is the "ex"!

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday, belatedly. We'll have to go to that restaurant in L'Ile-Bouchard with you one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ¡Feliz cumpleaños! So glad Daisy to get you your very own birthday mouse. I have a large paper shopping bag on the floor of my office because the cats love it. I can't stand how messy it makes it look in here, but as long as THEY'RE happy...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyeux anniversaire, Jean! I love Daisy and her mouse-eating, mouse-playing, brussels-sprout-eating little self :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belated birthday greetings, Jean. I always loved watching our cats play - both with toys and with each other. The live mice were less appealing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. May this next year be your best one yet !

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoever you are, you had to go to a lot of trouble to post a comment, but they don't get past my moderation system. So you are wasting your own precious time and might as well not bother to comment on this blog again.

      Delete