August 28, 2015

WHERE DID AUGUST GO?

I can hardly believe that the end of August is here already.  How did that happen?  The year has whizzed by, and the summer has been a good one for us in France.  There’s lots to tell, some of it seems like very old news now but it’s worth telling it all the same – when I get round to it !!

stuffed courgettes5

I’ve mentioned it before but we’ve done really well with our few tomato plants this year.  Other people have done well with courgettes and we have benefited from their success.  I decided it was time to make a real effort to use them productively.

On exploring the contents of the fridge today I found a few other bits and bobs that needed using up so, remembering this recent blog post, an idea evolved in my mind and I produced smoked salmon and halloumi stuffed courgettes for lunch.  They were very tasty and I shall make them again.  You can read all about them here.

7 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever knowingly eaten halloumi. Looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. I've never heard of halloumi. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt, on the packet it's called Salakis Grillis and it says it's a brebis cheese.
      I had never noticed it in the shops before, but then I wouldn't have been looking for it! I think my brother was intending to grill it as a starter of some kind for the Indian meal he cooked for us.

      Delete
    2. According to my Cook's Guide to Cheese, Halloumi is a traditional Cypriot cheese originally a sheep or goat cheese but now mainly made from cows milk. The curd is heated in hot water then kneaded and chopped mint is usually added. It is then rolled and cut into small blocks which are stored in light brine. It is denser than mozarella and is fundamentally a cooking cheese, much better tasting when heated. It holds its shape when fried or grilled. Try frying thin slices in a non-stick pan. They become crisp on the outside and melty on the inside. Not particularly Indian but very nice. Saganaki tyri, I think it's called. P

      Delete
  3. Sounds delicious and another recipe to add to the courgette repertoire. Halloumi I know but it is good to know the other names as well when looking for it. Hope all is well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some things should be planted sparingly

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look super-delicious! Nothing like eating something you've grown yourselves!

    ReplyDelete