11 January 2026

YOU TOO COULD OWN A HOUSE IN FRANCE

Our friends Jim and Pauline are selling their lovely house in La Guerche, not far from us.

They have renovated the former village sweet shop, turning it into a beautiful home.

Had it been for sale the first time we were looking for a house in France it would have been the answer to all our dreams!  It is beautifully restored with original features and modern facilities.  Some of the furniture could also be included in the sale.  As a holiday home it would make a perfect gite to rent out when not in personal use.

It has three bedrooms and a fabulous low maintenance outdoor space ideal for chilling or entertaining, which could be used to leave a car in the courtyard when the house is not in use.  There is perfectly adequate car parking on the street outside the house when in residence.

The living room and kitchen are upstairs where you have a lovely view of the medieval château of La Guerche.  

The village lies a short drive from a number of small towns and villages with shops, bars, markets, restaurants, parks, cinemas and all the facilities you need.  Drive a little further and there are numerous château, tourist spots, zoos, museums and endless opportunities for days out and entertainment.  

During the summer months there are a number of pop up restaurants and music venues nearby, plus music festivals, old car rallies and, of course, a village brocante - street market - virtually every weekend between April and November and none of this is very far away.  There are excellent cycle and walking paths and peaceful spots for picnics, just pick up a baguette from the boulangerie along the way!  There is even a beach and bathing with lifeguard on the river in the next village and several places that offer very easy canoeing. 

It’s not just however a holiday home.  The accommodation would make it an excellent permanent home in France for a couple or young family, ready to move into, requiring no work and little maintenance.  

You can read more about it here.

7 comments:

  1. It is truly beautiful, I am sure they will find a buyer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they will too, it's a great house in a wonderful area of France.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, wish we’d bought in France instead of Italy all these years ago. The blanket pattern by the way is indeed blanket stitch. Knit 4 purl 4 for 4 rows, purl 4 knit 4 for 4 rows, repeat till you are done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I met Nick I took my summer holidays in Italy every year for about eight years and always thought I would like to have a house there. In the end, France seemed easier, it's hard to explain why.

      Delete
    2. I'm wondering what I could knit using the blanket stitch, other than a blanket.......will look for jumper patterns!
      I am currently knitting a second scarf in a similar stitch, K2 P2 for 6 rows, P2 K2 for 6 rows and repeat.

      Delete
  3. what a lovely dream that would be!

    ReplyDelete