23 March 2012

SEEING THE SIGHTS AND AN ANNIVERSARY

Some more photos from our day trip to London.

London trip8b

After leaving the theatre we crossed the river and walked along the South Bank towards the Houses of Parliament. London trip8c London trip8d

There were plenty of the old London buses being used for tours and birthday parties.

London trip8f London trip8g  London trip8j

We walked along Whitehall past Downing Street.  I don’t remember seeing this memorial before.

London trip7  London trip8k London trip8l Trafalgar Square was buzzing in the early evening.

London trip9

I never knew Texas had its own Embassy – then I realised it was a restaurant!

London trip9a The pubs were gearing up for a busy evening.

London trip9bThere were lots of very sexy cars driving around the city centre, including this E-type Jaguar.

London trip9cMany of the shops were open late – I loved the colourfulness of them, their goods looking brighter than ever after dark – it reminded me of shopping trips to town with my mum at Christmas time when I was a little girl.

London trip9d London trip9e

We didn’t do any shopping at all but this shop caught my eye.  Mr George F. Trumper just seemed to sell shaving soap and other essentials for a man’s ablutions.  I somehow find it illogically comforting that such shops even exist these days.

All in all, we had a great day and I felt rather proud of our capital city and a pang or two or patriotism.  Then the bus picked us up just off the Haymarket and after an equally stress-free and relaxed ride home, wine and coffee being served on board, we climbed into bed about 11pm, very happy people.

Speaking of happy people, today is my blogversary.  Three years, 103 followers (if you count Nick), 384 posts, more than 44,000 page views and a huge number of new friends, some of whom I even now meet up with in France. 

My cup runneth over !!

24 comments:

  1. Happy Blog-birthday! And what lovely photos of London. It looks very 'happening' and spruced up, possibly because there is a lot going on there this year. Could almost feel the buzz of excitement as I looked at your photos, and indeed I also felt quite patriotic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vera, there was certainly a lot of building work and road work going on.

      Delete
  2. Happy Blog-versary indeed. Always love reading your blog should you be home or abroad. Love Phil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blogiversary. I bought Simon a treatment at Geo. Trumper for his 40th birthday - they are one of the last traditional barbers, with hot towels and cut throats and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I love shops like this one, I bet the treatment was a real treat - we all need pampering occasionally !!

      Delete
  4. And long may your cup continue to overflow! Thank you for all the wonderful posts - the photos, the stories and for the smile you bring to every post.

    Happy Blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin and Elizabeth, thanks, glad you enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Happy blogiversary! A nice dose of "urban" every once in a while is fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt, thanks and you're absolutely right. But I was glad to be amongst the fields and trees the next day. I'm not a city person.

      Delete
  6. Jean, congratulations on the anniversary of your blog. It's been as much fun to read as it's probably been for you to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, thanks, it has been fun but it hasn't done much for the pile of ironing !!

      Delete
  7. Happy third blogiversary!! The photos of London are great. Looks like you really had a swell time. Martine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martine, thanks, we did have a great time and I am looking forward to meeting you in person later in the year.....although I feel I have known you for years already !!

      Delete
  8. Happy Blog-aversary! London does look smart! It is nice to get a 'dose of pavements' once in a while :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niall and Antoinette, we thought London looked smarter and cleaner than on prevous visits, which was nice.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the tour! I love seeing the Houses of Parliament in silhouette. Iconic! I do enjoy London -- and am always glad it's only for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broad, a day trip is perfect for us, although I might try a whole weekend next time !!

      Delete
  10. Happy third blog-anniversary, quite a feat. I am 2 years behind you and slowing down!! I need a few more hours in the day me thinks!!

    Thanks for the tour, I have seen more of London with you than I have ever seen. Too long in S.A and not enough time in the UK :) I really enjoyed the London posts. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I didn't see so much this time as on previous visits as I can't be bothered to do the rushing around and trompling about as much, but it was nice.

      Delete
  11. Great photos, Jean. It's ages since I saw London at night and yes, it does look very spruced up and smart. You obviously had a smashing day out. :-)

    Congratulations on your 3rd blogversary. Like Diane I'm almost two years behind you and have a lot of catching up to do in every way....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perpetua, two years ago I wondered if the blog would still be going now but somehow I still find stuff to say.

      Delete
  12. Great photos and story, as always, Jean. And happy anniversary to/for your blog!

    That monument of WW2 women struck me as peculiar. It looked like they had all been hung or something.. Sadly.

    Glad you had a trip into "town" for the theatre and a look about. Coffee and champagne on the way home? My, such decadence! Far more civilized than bus trips on this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bear, I thought the same when I saw the monument, but I think it's a row of hats and coats. I don't quite get it but it arrived in 2005, apparently, which shows how often I visit London !!

      Delete