The very smart kitchen in our giteThe agent then took us to see an even more unlikely prospect. A huge partially restored house down a long and very dusty gravel track. The "garden" was virtually a whole field across the road and in the courtyard there was another building, just as big as the house, to "do up". We couldn't see inside the house as he had no keys and the neighbours looked very dodgy - an elderly couple with interesting squints and a large mangey-looking dog. Not for us, that one then.
Debriefing at the PreHisto bar in Le G PHaving drawn a blank on day one, we headed back to Le G P and enjoyed an apero in the PreHisto bar followed by dinner in the hotel. With the benefit of the day's house-hunting experience we were able to formulate exactly what we were looking for in our holiday home.
The Hotel Savoie-Villars in Le G P
SPECIFICATION FOR OUR HOLIDAY HOME
1. A small house, not a renovation project, although we didn't object to a little DIY and decorating. It must be reasonably comfortable to live in whilst work was in progress, i.e. must have a toilet, kitchen and proper bedroom.
2. A proper kitchen, either separate or open-plan, but with enough room for proper appliances, not just a 2-ring hob perched on top of a microwave next to the sink. We both enjoy cooking and needed enough space to do it properly.
3. A functioning bathroom.
4. Two separate bedrooms. They did not need to be huge but a bed on the landing would not do.
5. A small, manageable garden, reasonably private for relaxing and entertaining. Not just a patch of yard in front of the house. Not acres of grass either. We didn't want to spend all of our holiday gardening or mowing the lawn.
6. Reasonably secure parking for the motorcycles.
7. Also if possible, some dog-walking terrain nearby.
8. Last but not least, it should be in a village, within walking distance of some shops and some entertainment, eg a bar, perhaps a restaurant.
We had already arranged to see a house in Chinon the next day, Tuesday, so we were really looking forward to that. The pictures on the internet had looked very promising.